Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Experimenting with Crochet Flowers!

I love to crochet, and thought it would be nice to make some flowers for my cards.  I tried making them with worsted weight yarn, but no matter what size  hook I used they were always too big.  I guess they would be good, if you were using one flower as the main focus for your card.  Here is a sample of the ones I first tried to make.

As you can see, these are quite cute.  I just used a flower from an afghan pattern I had.  It is the same flower, but each one using a smaller hook.  Of course, with thick wool, using a small hook is a real pain!
Finally, I decided to try them with embroidery floss, and a size 1.75mm hook, and it worked perfectly.  They are smaller, and I like the colors better.  They actually match the copics better than wool.  Here is a sample of some I made.

I find these are much nicer than the wool.  I also figured, you could use a smaller stitch in the flower.  If it calls for a double crochet, you could use a half double crochet.  This will make the flower even smaller.
I have so much embroidery floss,  and this is the perfect way to use it up.  These flowers don't take long to do.  I guess about 10-15 minutes each, and it took about 1 spool per flower, which is very inexpensive.
Well, I hope you will give flower making a try.  There are tons of patterns on the net, just try using floss instead of wool.
Happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. ohhh I love them! I like to crochet too :-) and I´ve been with the idea of making my own flowers quite a while but I didn´t put myself into it yet... they are so pretty. Hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete