Saturday, September 11, 2010

SPECIAL SEPTEMBER RELEASE AT SASSY STUDIO DESIGN!

This is a very special release day at Sassy Studio Designs.  In honour of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attack on New York, Lindsay has created three new digital images, and is releasing them today on the anniversary of 9/11.  I am using the "Fire Fighter Honey" in memory of all the courageous New York City Fire Department (FDNY) heroes past and present!  I hope you will take a moment to reflect on that fateful day, and offer up a prayer of thanks and gratitude, to all the men and women who answered the call, and helped, regardless of injury to themselves.  I am a proud Canadian, but my heart broke that day, as if I truly were an American.  I remember with such clarity where I was, and what I was doing when the news broke, we will never forget!

You will be able to see all the images by going to each DT's blog.  If you just came from Lisa's blog, then you are on the right track.  The next stop along the way is Amanda.  Amanda is going to have 4 challenges during the day, one each hour beginning at 9 A.M.  You have until Sunday September 12th at 4 P.M., she will annouce the winners later that night. 


I challenged myself with this card.  I wanted to use a totally "off the wall" color combo, one that I would not normally work with.  So as you can see I chose blue, red and yellow.  Even though this hop is in honour of the men and women of 9/11, I wanted something bright and cheerful, a new beginning!  I think I accomplished it.

The coat, hat and pants are all paper pieced with the same designer background paper.  I colored the rest of the image with Copics.  I used the Spellbinders Oval and Scalloped dies to cut and layer the image.  I used the Romance embossing folder by Cuttlebug on the blue, yellow and red card stock.  The sentiment is a freebie from Create With TLC.  Other than the image my favourite is the flower.  I used my Cricut to cut different flower shapes.  Then I used modge podge on them, to harden them a bit and make them shine.  I found that the podge helps them keep their shape once you start rolling them.  There are six layers to the flower, and a blue gem in the middle.

I hope you have enjoyed the hop so far, and if you are interested in the new releases hop on over to the Sassy Studio Design store, where you will find lots of sassy images to choose from!

I am also entering this card in the following challenges:
Sunday Sketch and Stamp - Challenge #36 Erin's sketch.
Charisma Card - Challenge #36 Try Something New.  I tried a new color combo, and flower.
OWH Hero Blog.

Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. Marilyn, gorgeous, love the bright colors and your flower. What beautiful words you wrote about that day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing coloring and the flower that you made. WOW!!!! Fabulous job!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card!! LOVE the embossing and the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn,
    I totally love your card. The first thing I noticed was the colors and they are amazing. Your flower is perfect-oh my gosh, I love it. And the paper piecing couldn't be any better. Thank you for your wonderful words. I've already been crying today from visiting everyone's blogs, and I can see it's not going to get any better!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! The colors are just perfect for the image, and you image is colored to perfection!!! You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your card, your paper piecing is neat! The colors are wonderful together and the layout is nice too! I bet this is the one for the OWH Hero blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is absolutely awesome! I can't believe all the techniques you used on one card! I will print that one out for inspiration! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bon Jour Marilyn, my husband is also French Canadian. My mother-in-law lives in Montreal along with his sister and brothers. We were up there in June. Your card is great. I've been making cards for OWH for about a year and a half. Nice to have you aboard. Feel free to e-mail me at cyncha59@aol.com, like to hear what's going on in Montreal. I can e-mail you the link to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marilyn
    great job on the card, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fab creation Marilyn - very vibrant colours and a real tribute to 9/11. Thanks for playing along this time with SS&S. Hugs, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really lovely design, thanks for playing with Charisma this week. Good Luck!
    xx Vee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Marilyn! This card is WONDERFUL! I love these colors, the paper piecing, your coloring and that flower. The flower is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Love the shine and dimension to it. Another fun sentiment, too. Your cards always rock and this one is no exception, love it!

    ReplyDelete