Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Paper Beads Tutorial

A while ago I got interested in making my own paper beads.  I saw a lot of tutorials on the internet, but this is my take on it.

Supplies:
Cardstock cut 12 inches long with one end 3/4 inch tapering to 1/4 inch at the other end.  Stick or dowel or skewer, glue and modge podge glue or any glue that dries clear and shiny.

                                                  number 1

1.  You can draw on the back of the cardstock that is 12 x 12 your pieces that are 3/4 inches on one end, and tapers to 1/4 inch on the other, or you can just use left over card stock, like I do.   These beads can be any size you would like.  Then you can either cut them with your cutting machine, or a ruler and exacto knife.

 number 2   number 3   number 4

2.  Roll up your strips on a skewer starting at the widest end, all the way to the top narrow end, then secure end with a bit of glue.

                         number 5     number 6  
                                               number 7

3.  After making all your beads, thread them back on the skewer.  I use an old paint brush to coat each bead with the Modge Podge glue.  Then leave them to dry.  I usually give them 2 – 3 coats of the glue, it will protect the paper, and make the beads very hard.  Once they are completely dry remove from the skewer, and they are ready to use.

     Hint:  While they are drying I move them a bit so they don’t stick to the skewer.

                                              number 8

4.  This is what they are like once they have dried completely.  It doesn’t take long, maybe an hour.  They become quite hard like a normal bead.

                                              number 9

5.  Try using different sizes and co-ordinate the beads with your projects.  Here is a book mark I made with the Bugaboo Stamp “AKV Reading Time”, and as you can see I have used different sized papers.  The little beads are strips of paper 6 inches long, and about 1/4 of an inch wide.


                             
I hope you will give this a try, it’s simple and cheap.  I keep a jar on my craft table, and put all my long thin scraps there, so that when I want to make beads I will have the papers I need.

I’d love to see any of your projects that you create using this tutorial.  Have fun, and thanks for stopping by!

Marilyn

12 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Marilyn! I LOOOVE this idea! If you don't mind I would like to link to you in my tutorial section,is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, YES, YESSSS....AWESOME tutorial and I can't wait to try this!!!! :D
    Thanks so much for sharing this...you're brilliant.
    Off to eat fruit so I have a stand for my skewer..lol.
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh Marilyn, this is AWESOME - I love your project too!
    Hugs & Happy Days!
    ~Min

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, this are just COOL!!! I've never seen them before and they're fantastic. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable bookmark Marilyn!! I love the paper beads! Fantastic tutorial...thanks!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn what an awesome tutorial and a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat, what a cool idea Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marilyn,
    What a great tutorial,what a great way to use your paper scraps :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun beads! Great photo tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love it....I will want to try. I would love to add those beads as you and a pretty, fun embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing such an awesome tutorial! Can't wait to make some beads.
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much.. great tutorial..

    Hugs, Katrin

    ReplyDelete