Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Switch From Cards!

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I last posted to my blog!  Time sure flies! 

While I was spending some time with my kids and grand kids this summer, I noticed the boys each had a really cute quilt that their grand mother and my friend Rose made.  I was really intrigued so when I got home I emailed with Rose to find out how to make them.  She gave me lots of ideas and a really neat site with tutorials and many more “Rag Quilt” ideas.  The most interesting one was from Jenny Doan.  You can find lots of tutorials on the YouTube site. 

Although I am a sewer, it has been many years since I pulled out my machine and made something.  After having a year of  hiatus from anything crafty, I decided sewing was what I needed to do.  I was starting to have craft withdrawals!  The first thing I made was a quilted tote using what Jenny Doan refers to as “charms”.  This was all new to me….lol.  So I decided what size I wanted to do and cut the squares myself and just followed her instructions.  I decided to make mine a little larger.  Here is a picture of my first try at quilting.  I am so pleased with it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After finishing this one I was off to the fabric store for more material.  I was hooked!  I made a second one, but instead of lines I sewed on an “X”’ for the quilting pattern.  I also made the tote taller and a bit smaller.  Picture number two……

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I really love this one.  The colors and the patterns on the material go so well together!  Now, I was ready to try my hand at a “Rag Quilt”.  I decided to do a baby quilt.  I figured some thing smaller for my first try.  I was a little hesitant about all the cutting and snipping and man what a lot of threads all over the house from the flannel.  Thank god my husband loves to vacuum!  What a lucky lady I am!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I amaze myself some times, nah just kidding.  I really enjoyed making this quilt and  have plans for a bigger one for myself.  This time I will add some batting to the quilt for extra warmth.  It will be great to have a rag quilt to snuggle under while watching television or reading or just doing nothing.  Thanks Rose for helping me get my mojo going! 

Hope I have inspired some of you to start sewing or even just to get your crafty mojo back again.  Stay tuned will blog more about my next rag quilt.  For all my card making friends in blog land I have the itch to start making cards again. 

Have a great day!

Marilyn

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marilyn, it's so good to see you back here! Love your quiliting - it's something I haven't done for years. The rag quilt looks stunning. Hugs, Tracey x

    ReplyDelete